Friday, August 24, 2012

So Simple Sausage and Tatoes

I see so many tempting recipes on-line when I browse through Pinterest. It just amazes me how many talented cooks their are out there coming up with this stuff. Here's the thing, though: You don't have to be an amazing cook to feed your family! It's creative and fun to discover and cook new recipes, but it's not necessary for daily cooking.


I'd like to share with you an average day meal I used to cook when my children were littles. We were livin' on scraps, if you know what I mean. Actually, we were just fine, but only because we had no debt. We still had to be careful, though, as a family of four making it on less than $30K a year. I think we cooked this about once a week or so.


Sausage and Tatoes (that's what my little one's called potatoes)
Needed Tools:

Skillet
Spoon
Large and Small Knifes and Cutting board
Potatoe Scrubber (a simple nail scrubber will do the job)


Needed Food Items:
Any Dinner Sausage you like
Any Potatoes you like (about 6 for a family of 4)
Red Onion
Bell Pepper or Broccolli (any tough green veggie will do fine)
Olive Oil
Parsley
Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
(opt. Barbeque Sauce or favorite Stir-fry Sauce)


To Make:(I never measure when stove top cooking--sorry. It really depends on your taste and dietary needs. You can have less oil if you're dieting, or more veggies if you need more nutrients, etc.)

Scrub Potatoes and dice in small cubes (if you get the cubes too big it will take forever to cook)

Throw the Potatoes in the skillet on Med-High (stove top)

Add Olive Oil and Parsley (if you're dieting, you can make it with less oil, but in that case keep a cup of water handy so that the food won't burn to the bottom of the skillet)

Stir until everything is lightly coated with the olive oil

Cut Onion in large chunks and throw in with the Potatoes

Cut Bell Pepper and/or Broccolli in large Chunks and throw it in

Keep stirring as you go

Cut the Sausage in bite-size chunks and add to the mix

Add in some Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste

(optional: You can also add in Barbeque Sauce or your favorite Stir-fry Sauce for extra flavor, but if you do, you don't need as much oil)

It will be done when the potatoes have no resistance to a fork and the sausage appears bloated.


[Now that I'm a little more experienced with cooking, I would put the onions and olive oil in first and wait until the onions were soft before adding the potatoes. I would also add in a clove of garlic, crushed and chopped at the same time. This will flavor the oil and add a lot to this dish.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! They inspire me to keep writing and I read every one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...