Friday, March 16, 2012

How I Make Baby Wipes

When I had Abigail almost 10 years ago now (Wow, time sure does go by quickly), my mother-in-law showed me how to make my own baby wipes. She got the recipe from her Mothers Of Many (MOMs) group. They had clipped it from a magazine article years before and I don't know which magazine it was. It has evolved a little since then. I've seen it on a few different websites, one of which I've left a link. I use Viva, some other moms use Bounty. I use regular Baby Oil, others use cooking oil, etc. I use Viva because it feels like actual cloth--they are scrumptiously soft. I just have to fill the water past the 2 cup mark because they soak in a lot more.

Here is what you'll need to make your own Baby Wipes:

  • Cutting Board and Serrated Knife
  • 2 Cup or larger liquid measuring glass
  • A Tablespoon measure
  • A seal-able container the size of 1/2 a paper towel roll (Rubbermaid does not sell the one I have now anymore-I wish they did)
  • Viva Paper Towels (I buy a 6 pack and it last me as many months)
  • Baby Shampoo
  • Baby Oil
How I make mine:



  1. Cut the roll of paper towels in half. This is the hardest part and Josh usually does this, but each time you cut it in half you get 2 whole tubs out of it. You won't have to do this but about once every 2 months.
  2. This is how it looks when it's cut through. See all the lint looking stuff? That side goes at the bottom so that it's easier to handle.
  3. Fill your measuring glass up a little past 2 cups. I have a 2 cup measure, so I just fill it as full as it'll go. If you need exacts, I would try about 2 1/3 cup the first time and adjust to preference (you can always drain excess water or add more).
  4. Put in 2 tablespoons of your baby soap.
  5. Put in 2 tablespoons of your baby oil.
  6. Stir it well before putting in the paper towel roll.
  7. Lower your 1/2 roll into the tub with the rough side down.
  8. Seal it tight and turn upside down. I usually let it set over-night, but it should be finished soaking through in a few hours.
Note: Unlike store bought wipes, these will over time go bad. It has never happened to me when I use these exclusively until they're out of diapers and start potty training. I'd say, if you haven't used them all in a few weeks, throw out the excess and make new ones. How will you know? They don't smell pleasant anymore.

Linked up to these fabulous blogs:

You're Talking Too Much
Ask Anna

A Bowl Full Of Lemons
DIY Home Sweet Home

Tatertots and Jello

It's Overflowing






Gettin Krafty With It

8 comments:

  1. This is such a good idea. I just use a damp cloth here at home, but I used wipes when we're out. I should try making my own.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's SO very easy and really cheap after you've got started. I've never had to repurchase anything but the paper towels. The big thing of baby soap and oil lasted me until they were in big boy pants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder if an electric knife would make cutting the paper towels easier???

    ReplyDelete
  4. It could. I have a secret weapon, though. My dear husband cuts them for me most of the time. Also, I'm not sure but if the paper towel roll might dull your electric knife?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome. I have big poodles I'm not allergic to, but they bring in SO much pollen now I AM allergic to. Vet said wipe them down with hypoallergenic baby wipes. This'll save us $$ and keep me out of the hospital, once I get home. Asthmatic bronchitis is the pits! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome! I never thought of that use. I use them for everything-peanut butter hands, cleaning a paci or wiping down a grocery cart. I don't think mine will ever go bad, lol. I go through tons of them! And they really are cheap. The first supplies aren't but everything lasts so long you'll quickly notice you're no longer having to buy more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great money saving idea! I love baby wipes even though I don't have babies anymore! They're just so handy. I need to go make a batch of these for my car. Thanks for linking up to the Gettin' Krafty party this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really love them. Hope to see you next week, too. -Tabitha

      Delete

I love your comments! They inspire me to keep writing and I read every one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...