Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Gathering Moving Supplies

 It's only been two and a half years since we moved into what I thought was going to be my forever home, and just look at how dusty that lid is!! Well, looks like there's one more move to find forever on this side of heaven, so I'm glad I kept my supply box. It was a little on the messy side, so it needed a bit of revamping.
 So, here's what's in my Moving Kit:
  • Big Trash or Recycling Bags
  • Zip lock bags, various sizes
  • Spiral Notebook
  • Twist-Tie bags, large and small
  • Extra grocery bags (for other people's stuff as I find it)
  • Clorox Wipes
  • Shower Head(s) to replace my expensive ones
  • Sticky Notes
  • Index Cards, 3x5
  • Pens
  • Fragile stickers
  • Medal rings to hold index cards together
  • Twist-Ties
  • Scissors
  • Tape Dispenser, Heavy Duty (WORTH every penny!!!)
  • Extra packing tape
  • Floor Plans to New Home (if available)
  • Packing Paper (I don't like newspaper)
  • Permanent Markers

 Also, I take along a my cleaning basket, with Scrubbing Bubbles, Windex, Endust, lots of cleaning rags, and Magic Erasers. I deep clean as I go, so I'll only have to do what's left and upkeep after packing.
 Oh, and my laptop. That's a must! I type out a basic inventory of what's in each box so that I can find it easily. I detail things like book titles, but most of the time the inventory looks more like Abby's dress-up clothes and accessories, plus my wedding veil. I'm talking very basic.
 I load it all in my freshly cleaned tub and I'm ready to start. The white drawer bin is for peices of sets found along the way or lost and found items. That way, I can add them to their proper container when I find it or at least know where all the little missing things will be after I move.


You wanna know my secret to GREAT, FABULOUS, AMAZING Boxes?????????!!!!!!

Barnes and Noble!

Yep, People, Barnes & Noble has the best FREE boxes ever!!!! Just take a look! They're all the very same size, they're pretty free of word clutter, and if they're strong enough to hold books...well, you get the idea. Oh, and really quick, too. If you are trying to get boxes from your local grocer...where every Tom, Dick, and Harry are also trying to get boxes...than you may be in for quite the wait. I call Barnes and Noble and usually pick them up either that same day or the next.

Aren't my boxes beautiful!!??? SOOOOOooooooo much room to write and absolutely NO color to distract the eye from what you want your moving buddies to be reading. And, did I mention they are the perfect size? It's like they were meant for books, lol! Oh, and I have a TON of books, too. Perfect size and weight for the normal person, too.

So, it's a packing we will go...a packing we will go...Hi ho the dairy-o, a packing we will go.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks!! I feel like I'm busier than ever, but I really missed my blog. It's nice to be back and visit with all of you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip on the boxes! I used to work at a bookstore and we got rid of soooo many boxes! I wish people would have come in to get them for moving day! More people should definitely know that one!
    ~Erin
    Neaten Your Nest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks NYN! I originally thought of them when we first had to move all of my homeschool supplies. I have a small library, lol! When I stopped by Barnes and Noble on my next regular visit, it just hit me--the perfect boxes, if they were willing. And they were. They ended up being perfect for everything I had to pack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very helpful tips! Thanks so much. I'm awarding you the Sunshine Award. You can read about it here: http://fromoverwhelmedtoorganized.blogspot.ca/2012/07/sunshine-award.html. Congratulations and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh My Gosh!! That is so kind! Thank you so very much and I will get to it as soon as I have a little time. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. Just found your blog from Overwhelmed to Organized! Love your blog! Great tips!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You really are prepared! Regarding the boxes, I know of a storage facility where they sell boxes in packs. When my parents moved to Florida, I purchased their Apartment Value Pack which includes the ff.: 5 small boxes, 7 med. boxes, 2 large boxes, 1 wardrobe box, 1 dish box, 2 rolls tape, 2 bubble wraps, 2 mattress bags, and 1 marker. They also offered me their Large DishPak that my parents used for their fragile items.

    Ericka Muldowney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ericka! Sounds like a lot of great boxes. I've never had to move across state lines or long distances so I haven't had to use the specialized boxes before. Are they nice? The only thing I really love to buy is wrapping paper instead of using newspaper. I don't want to scrub everything right after I move, lol.

      Delete

I love your comments! They inspire me to keep writing and I read every one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...